Conte recorded double-digit saves for the Skyhawks’ second straight game, finishing with ten this afternoon (PHOTO BY Brian Foley Photography)
Conte finishes with ten saves for second consecutive double-digit effort
DEDHAM, Mass. (September 4, 2022) – Northeastern University opened play with a five-goal second half to secure a 7-0 victory over Stonehill College in non-conference field hockey action at Dedham Field this afternoon.
- Junior Mak Graves paced the North East attack with a goal and two assists.
- First-year student Emilie Adragna scored a team-high two goals in the second half to help the Huskies open a 2-0 halftime lead.
- Junior Sarah Coyle also contributed with two assists for Northeastern.
- postgrade Jonna Kennedy got the start in goal for Northeastern and saved both shots on goal she faced in a 42:27 scoreless game, before giving in to the sophomore Kristina Merashoff which was not tested in the 17:33 final to complete the shutout.
- Second year Shannon Conte posted his second straight double-digit save effort to start the season, posting ten saves in his 60 minutes in the Stonehill cage.
How did it happen
- Stonehill stood defensively to start the second straight game before Northeastern opened the scoring on a penalty corner on Graves’ first goal of the season with 3:50 left in the first quarter, helped by Coyle and the second. Maria Armaganyan.
- Northeastern took a two-goal halftime lead when Graves connected with the second Kate Blaisdell for his first goal of the season with 2:33 left in the second quarter.
- Northeastern followed with a three-goal third quarter, starting with freshman Emmy Stubbs scoring his second goal of the season just 27 seconds from a pass from Coyle.
- Blaisdell attended in second year Fields of Alana’ first goal of the season 6:23 into the third, before Adragna finished the quarter with his first of the game and second of the year with 1:46 to go.
- Northeastern scored two more goals in the fourth quarter with Graves delivering his second assist of the day on a freshman goal Anna-Kate Domingo then Adragna capped the scoring with his second in the final minute.
- Stonehill’s best scoring chances came in the second quarter when the Skyhawks recorded all three of his shots. Kennedy made saves on shots by a freshman Sarah Latham and senior Madi Weber.
Stonehill (0-2, 0-0 NEC) will travel to Missouri for a pair of non-conference games next weekend, starting with Saint Louis University at SportPort International in Maryland Heights, Missouri on Friday at 5 p.m. ( EDT). The Skyhawks’ home opener is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 7 against former Northeast-10 conference rival Merrimack College, in a Northeast Conference game at WB Mason Stadium at 3 p.m. Northeastern (1-2, 0-0 CAA) visits Dartmouth College Friday at 3 p.m.
For the latest Stonehill news, follow the Skyhawks via social media at Twitter, Facebook and instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” Mobile App, Powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.